Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. has inspired and cultivated many fearless leaders over the years. Today marks a time in which we can remember how much he contributed to the struggle for equality. As event planners, we can learn from Dr. King to keep our eyes on the end result, and lead without fear or prejudice. Here are five quotes that have inspired me. I hope they do their part in inspiring you.
- “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.”
- “Whatever your life’s work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.”
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- “A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.”
Photo credit: Martin Luther King Jr Memorial at night via Flickr by Scott Ableman